This blog has been acting as my online journal and scrapbook... I totally understand if you, my visitors, don't really read my ramblings, but instead just scroll down to see pictures (I'm okay with that except for my family members who didn't even comment about the father's day song we wrote for my dad which was really clever). I've been thinking about my favorite things that happened this week, so I'm putting them here for my own benefit. And maybe my mom will read them too.
-Our power was out again on Monday because of a thunderstorm, which sent us out to dinner and to do some shopping at stores who still had power. When we came home and were walking from our van to the house, we saw tons of little lightning bugs, or fireflies, all over several of our neighbors' yards. I had never seen them before, and I sat there for awhile just pointing them out to Rachel. I think I enjoyed them more than anyone else in our family. If we had a jar, I would have tried to catch some. I can't believe they can light themselves up like that. I'm curious about the sea creatures on the ocean floor now. Bioluminescence rocks!
-On Tuesday, I took the kids to the Natural History Museum without the camera. The kids asked me to leave it at home. They said sometimes it's more fun without having to pose all of the time for pictures. They were right (though I'm not giving up on the picture taking...maybe just more candid shots). We really had a relaxed fun day together! We got to see the butterfly exhibit which is free on Tuesdays(saved me $30) and I still can't believe they still had tickets available when we got there. Anyways, there were tons of butterflies! I loved watching the kids point out different ones that they thought were cool or pretty or ugly or neat or huge. We had been warned that some butterflies land on the ground, and it was so fun to see the kids' careful steps. I know Grace really wanted a butterfly to land on her shoulder, which I think is so sweet, and how I wished I could lure one there for her. We ended our trip with rocket pops, an ice cream sandwich, and a couple of dove bars. It was a delicious day.
-On our way to the museum, I asked the kids if they thought I should drive around for awhile and try to park close, or park where we usually do and walk a little farther. Sarah asked if we could please park close because the sandals she was wearing hurt her feet if she walked too far. Grace asked why she even wore those sandals then, and Sarah responded very matter-of-factly, "Because they look so cute with my outfit." They really did too.
-Sarah came downstairs to show me a drawing she had done of Kai-Lan, a Nick Jr. cartoon character. It looked just like the cartoon, and I am not joking. I asked if she had traced something, and she said no, she just looked at the picture online at nickjr.com and then drew it. She had the biggest smile on her face, and was so proud of herself. Just darling. She hung it over our bed. I still can't believe what an awesome drawing it was. Unfortunately, she colored it with markers, so her pencil lines are all covered up, or I would scan it to show. I'll post the next one. I love that she's artsy.
-We are going to celebrate Sarah and Jake's July birthdays this month before we move, so we were making invitations. Jake had collected the phone numbers of his friends on the last day of school, so he could invite them. I had him call his friends to let them know about his party and to get their addresses so we could send an invitation. I was so impressed with how well he spoke with parents and his friends on the phone, and the messages he left. Jake taking care of business. It was just a little glimpse of the wonderful young man he'll soon be, and I loved seeing it.
-Friday was pretty much Andy's last major day of classes. He's got a couple of one or two day classes left, but nothing big. They had a party on the last day, so he asked if I would make some cookies. I said I could make those yummy peanut butter ones with the Hershey kiss in the middle, and he said yeah those are good, but could I make some sugar cookies too? I can't resist my own sugar cookies, so of course I said yes, though they take forever. Anyways, I sent him with his tupperwares full of cookies, and when he came home he told me everyone loved them! Of course they did, they are delectable! I think Andy just liked that all of his classmates were so impressed that they were home-made and that his wife made them. I think he was proud of me, and I love that.
-Saturday I bought a treadmill. Yes, it's a highlight of my week! I am so excited to put it together and use it when we finally get our household shipment in Mexico.
-Our nursery lesson today was "I Have a Family". Andy talked with the kids about how mom and dad birds take care of their baby birds...make the nest, feed them, teach them, etc. (He is so great with the kids, by the way) I sang a song and taught the kids a poem, and at the end of the lesson I bore a short testimony about how I know Heavenly Father gave us families as part of his plan for us. I felt the spirit in that room. It was very sweet, and though it lasted just a moment, I hope the kids felt it too.
-After dinner this evening, we played a family game of Clue. Rachel and I were on the same team, but everyone else played alone. Clever Grace figured it out and made the correct accusation on her second turn! Andy didn't even get a second turn, though he said that was what he was going to guess... Way to go Grace! I love that my kids are getting older and we can play more intellectual games together. It's more fun for me. I know someday I'll miss playing Ants in the Pants or Lucky Ducks(I still play with Rachel), but I am sure enjoying the phase our family's in now!
-Tonight before bed, Rachel didn't scream when I brushed her teeth with toothpaste. This has been our nightly struggle for awhile, as we can't find a toothpaste she likes. She usually screams and gags and turns her head when I brush for her. Tonight, she actually asked if I was going to come up and help her. I still can't believe it.
15 years ago

9 comments:
wow this is such a long post that I just had to comment. I forgot to mention that I LOVED the father's day songs, you are so clever!
i'm jealous or your fireflies! i remember all the fireflies growing up so i've been waiting for them here-but no luck so far!! and that's why i love these blogs-it's so great to record family memories!!
I could have sworn I left a comment on the Father's Day songs. When Marty told me about it before hand he said, "Guess what? the Armstrong's wrote and sang me a song for Father's Day." And my response was, "Of course they did.....they're over-achievers!" Yep, no surprise there!
Hope you guys are doing well! We love you guys a bunch! Tomorrow will be the first shot to prove your theory wrong/right about the baby thing you left on Megan's blog. Boy or girl? We'll see tomorrow:) I'm guessing you voted that we're having a girl!
You are the sweetest mom, wife, nursury teacher and friend. I feel so lucky to call you my friend!
Rebecca, your blog is so cute!! Cara and I are here looking at it right now and we want to know your blogger secrets. Did you design your template, or did you find it somewhere?? And how bout that header?? is that photoshop?? Give us the details. Share with us you knowledge!!-the cw's
Rebecca,
I always read your blog - all of it and love it! It is so fun to see what your cute family is up to. By the way, I also love Grace's fashion trends. She looks so cute modeling the latest styles!
(Megan's Mom)
Yes I am reading and leaving a message agian. I know I talk to you on the phone but I love the blogs, I only wish I did better I am behind .... watching and sharing with the kids IS very rewarding! I had the best time doing it I am so glad to here you are all so involved in family that's all I ever want to hear Miss you sob sob now I am going to cry Hope we see you soon, but still haven't gotten our passports arg!
I remember the first night in Virginia that we saw fireflies. It was just Garrett and I and we were like two little kids, running all over trying to catch them. They are amazing! I love that Sarah wore shoes that hurt for fashion's sake. What a woman!
I think it's great that you write so much, because if you didn't you would forget and I love to read it too. It makes me feel that you're not so far away from us. I remember seeing fireflies for the first time...they are pretty cool. Way to go with the treadmill, I love mine. But try to put it where there's a TV in front of you, it really helps to pass the time.
Laura
Post a Comment