
We had our flag day today (finally)!! After all of the drama and worry about exotic locales and malaria medication, we are headed to South Texas, also known as Monterrey, Mexico. I will be a Vice Consul of the United States in Monterrey starting in July sometime. We are excited for the assignment. Although it is not as exotic as we might have hoped, we are in this for the long haul and I'm sure Monterrey will seem really nice to us when we travel next to Burma or Nigeria. The Consulate in Monterrey is one of the busiest visa stations in the world, and I anticipate spending 2 years standing at a visa window all day. Someone has to do it..bmp)
The kids are excited for Mexico, since "Scooby Doo and the Monster of Mexico" is one of their all-time favorite movies. We will make sure we keep them on edge looking out for la chupacabra on our frequent hour and a half drives to Texas to hit the Costco for goldfish crackers. As we learn more, we will certainly keep you posted. Viva Mexico!
Also, as far as our poll went on the site, no one guessed right. Mexico is in North America and that option received zero votes. Well done, people. Thanks for playing along. We can all try again in two years.
Andy
15 years ago

9 comments:
Hey!! well we are exited. that is where bryan served his mission. i'm sure he'll have all kinds of exaggerated useless information to share with you. and maybe you could stop in wichita falls on your way down!! congrats
This is Bryan speaking. Schoeni and I did indeed serve in the Monterrey North mission. I spent over a year eating from taco carts in some of the worst, and best, neighborhoods (colonias) in metro Monterrey. And I drank the water the entire time I was there. I too was at first disappointed that it wasn't more exotic, but believe me, you lucked out. You'll have access to Sams Club and Chile's. Monterrey is the Dallas of Mexico-- all business, cowboy boots and mullets. I'd go back to work there any day. You'll have to get out and mix with the natives, listen to Norteño music, like Los Tigres del Norte, and eat "cabrito" the regional specialty dish. At first you'll find Norteño music obnoxious, but it grows on you until you're really into that accordian, polka, Norteño sound. For a taste, download Los Tigres del Norte "La Jaula de Oro." Best of all you'll come back to the states with a northern Mexican accent. I'm jealous!
congrats! We are excited that maybe this is a place that we can visit you!
Bryan! We will actually be living in San Pedro Garza Garcia. Are you familiar with that suburb?
Rebecca
Wow! Still cool to me! The girls are going to be the cutest little senoritas:) I wonder how many languages your kids will learn by the time they go to college.
I'm glad that you guys are relatively close for selfish reasons! Love you guys!
Hooray! I can't wait to visit already! I love you guys!
wow sounds like a fun location.
Congratulations! It sounds like you are going to have a fantastic adventure!
Wow! It didn't even occur to me that your April Fools joke wasn't a serious announcement. I was in Korea, so it was April 2nd there when you posted... I didn't even notice when you put up the "April Fools" disclaimer the next day, so it wasn't until I saw this real posting that I got a clue! Sounds like tons of fun, though!
Post a Comment