Friday, May 15, 2009

Rachel's First Day of Preschool!



Rachel started preschool on Monday! I have usually only put my kids into preschool for the year prior to kindergarten. I tried to do that here, but pretty much all Mexican kids (and most American kids living here) start preschool at 2 or 3, which means there aren't any playgroups or music or dance lessons in the mornings that we could attend. Rach is almost 4 1/2 now, and she needed some extra stimulation and some interaction with other kids, so I am so happy we found a great affordable preschool to do both! She had been telling everyone that she was going to start preschool on Monday, but when the time came to actually get ready for it, she just repeated over and over, "but I don't want to go to school". She was worried that she wouldn't know what to do because she didn't know spanish. My reassurances that her teachers could speak english too did little to comfort her. I finally bribed her with a first-day-of-preschool cake that would be ready for her when she got back home. That seemed to make things a little easier. At the preschool, the moms just drive up and the teachers come to get the kids out of the car, so saying goodbye was fairly easy. When I returned to pick her up, she was all smiles, asking when she could go to school again. Excellent! I'm so happy things are going so well! These pictures were taken after school, as we were running a little late that morning(with all the complaining, comforting, bribing, etc.) She does look happy though, doesn't she?!

3 comments:

Harmers said...

Is school year-round there? My kids are just getting out of school. Glad she is liking school!

Melissa said...

Hooray Rachel! Such a big girl! We love yo guys!

Sarah and Mark said...

That's great. What school is she going to?